- Line Editing - More than proofreading, a good line edit will check for clarity, tone, and word choice, in addition to grammar and punctuation. I will check for consistency and flow and ensure that every word draws the reader in. You also get a custom style sheet listing style choices, characters' names and ages, and anything else unique to your manuscript. A line edit from me includes two passes before I send it back to you. Some clients like to add on a final "clean up" pass after incorporating my edits. This is optional, but I recommend it! (Note: many editors offer line editing and copyediting as separate services. I find it helpful to combine the two.)
- Developmental Editing - My most in-depth service. A developmental edit includes a full read-through of your manuscript, with in-text comments, suggestions for changes, and a full developmental report. This service covers narrative arc, character development, setting, tone, genre considerations, and reader expectations. My clients come away from a developmental edit ready for a final rewrite and on their way to a reader-ready book. Developmental editing does not include line editing, but many of my developmental clients return for a line edit.
- Manuscript Critique - Do you want a review of your novel's big-picture impact? Not ready for (or not interested in) a line edit? A critique might be for you. I'll provide you with a comprehensive Editorial Report, which includes a synopsis of your story, a list of the strengths and weaknesses, as well as notes about any issues with your plot, pacing, and tone. I'll also note any persistent grammar errors. This is like an intensive beta-read, a long-form preview of the reviews you'll be getting! Manuscript critiques are a great alternative to a developmental edit for authors who are largely satisfied with the state of their book.
- Self-publisher Package - A great add-on to any service! I'll look over your e-book or page proofs for errors in formatting and proofread your cover, back cover blurb, online sales listing, and any promotional materials. $100 flat fee.
- Nonfiction Copyediting - You've done the research, written the book, rewritten the book ... and now you're tired of looking at it! My nonfiction copyediting service is a great last step before it goes off to the publisher.
- Academic Copyediting - Whether your article has been accepted by a journal, or you're just starting to send it out, I will check it carefully for style, accuracy, and consistency. Reference checking and citation formatting also available. Email me for a quote.
- Marketing Materials - Web copy, press releases, brochures: anything your clients' eyes touch should be error-free. I will proofread your materials for spelling and grammar and general formatting. Rate varies by size and scope of project.
Free Grammar advice!
- Ellipsis Wrangling - Where does that danged comma go? Can I really not end a sentence with a preposition? I love wrangling with sticky grammar issues. Hit me with your best shot, and if I can't figure it out, I'll research it until I can. FREE.